Re: [css3-background] border-radius shorthand syntax

MURAKAMI Shinyu wrote:
> I'm curious about the border-radius shorthand syntax.
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#the-border-radius
>
> While non-shorthand border-*-radius properties have the following syntax
>
>     Value: <length> <length>?
>
> where whitespace is the separator between horizontal and vertical radius,
> the following shorthand syntax (comma separated) would be more natural
> and consistent

>    (it means: <'border-top-left-radius'>, <'border-top-right-radius'>,
>     <'border-bottom-right-radius'>, <'border-bottom-left-radius'> )
>
> rather than the current CSS3 draft's syntax
>
>     Value: <length>{1,4} [ / <length>{1,4} ]?
>
>    (it means: <'border-top-left-radius-X'> <'border-top-right-radius-X'>
>     <'border-bottom-right-radius-X'> <'border-bottom-left-radius-X'>
>     / <'border-top-left-radius-Y'> <'border-top-right-radius-Y'>
>     <'border-bottom-right-radius-Y'> <'border-bottom-left-radius-Y'> )
>
> where '/' is used for separator between horizontal and vertical radii,
> and the comma separated syntax would be upper compatible with the old
> draft's border-radius syntax
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-css3-background-20050216/#the-border-radius
>
>     Name:  border-top-right-radius, border-bottom-right-radius,
>            border-bottom-left-radius, border-top-left-radius,
>            border-radius
>     Value:  <length> <length>?
>
> that was already implemented by some vendors (including webkit, Prince,
> Antenna House).
>
> Is it too late to reconsider about the border-radius shorthand syntax?

See what Anne said. We had extensive discussions about this syntax both
here, in the WG, and also on css3.info. This syntax is more powerful than
the previous shorthand syntax, which only allowed one set of radii, and
it makes more common settings easy.

See
   http://www.css3.info/border-radius-apple-vs-mozilla/
and
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2007Sep/0092.html
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2007JulSep/0181.html

Since the previous drafts were only WDs and there were no CRs of this
functionality, I would expect all vendors to have used a vendor prefix
when implementing border-radius. So there shouldn't be a backwards-compat
problem here.

~fantasai