Re: stability of root em unit spec

From: Joshua Cranmer <Pidgeot18@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:00:50 -0500
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> I will propose to change "rem" to "re" because:
>   - all other length units are two-letter, it seems logical to follow
>     this scheme unless there's a good reason not to
>   - "rem" reminds me of the the old basic "remark" command. This is
>     not a very good reason, just something that pops up in my head
>     whenever I see it. I'm sure "re" will remind some people of email
>     messages.
> What do people think -- should it be changed back?
Am I the only person who associated `rem' with the `Röntgen equivalent
of man' (i.e., the actual unit)?

To be honest, I'm a fan of neither, since it only makes sense after you
know what it means, unlike in, cm, pt, px, or (arguably) em and ex.

Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth