Re: stability of root em unit spec

From: Joshua Cranmer <Pidgeot18@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:00:50 -0500
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> I will propose to change "rem" to "re" because:
>
>   - all other length units are two-letter, it seems logical to follow
>     this scheme unless there's a good reason not to
>
>   - "rem" reminds me of the the old basic "remark" command. This is
>     not a very good reason, just something that pops up in my head
>     whenever I see it. I'm sure "re" will remind some people of email
>     messages.
>
> What do people think -- should it be changed back?

Am I the only person who associated `rem' with the `Röntgen equivalent
of man' (i.e., the actual unit)?

To be honest, I'm a fan of neither, since it only makes sense after you
know what it means, unlike in, cm, pt, px, or (arguably) em and ex.

--
Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth