Re: [css3-gcpm] new draft -- including "overflow: paged"

From: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 20:49:06 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

>  - a new section "Creating paged presentations" bas been added. It
>    suggests that it should be possible to express preference for
>    page-based presentation by saying:
>
>      body { overflow: paged }
>
>    Or something. This would apply to non-paged media (e.g., screen)
>    to get rid of the scrollbar. As such, it's outside the scope of
>    GCPM, but it could have wide-reaching consequences for the
>    presenation of web pages in browsers.

Is this meant to:

1) display something like a slide-show, ie different part of page that show
on their own in sequence?
In this case, I suppose Template Layout has something on this [1]
(and other markup languages provide more specific features about this)

2) display a regular web page as if it was on paged media (something like a
print preview or e-book)?
In this case, scrollbars are still needed, and I think we need to apply
@page rule to a non-paged media, because otherwise overflow is not applied
(the containing box automatically grows to fit the body content, unless
constrained by other means, that is not what we need)

Giovanni

------
[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-css3-layout-20070809/#tabbed