RE: [css3-linebox] aligning lines

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 07:37:07 +0100
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Also sprach Alex Mogilevsky:

 > It is tempting to use 'line-height' as 'grid-height'. But what do
 > we want to happen if the two properties inherit independently and a
 > nested block overrides 'line-height'? Does it start a nested grid?
 >
 > In this example:

 > 	... a lot of text ...
 > 	<h2 style="line-height:18pt">heading with more than one line</h2>
 > 	... a lot of text ...
 >
 > Do we expect lines in H2 to be spaced at 18pt or 24pt? My
 > understanding of the intent of line grid is that taller lines are
 > placed at multiples of normal lines (24pt in this case). That also
 > matches what JLTF describes as preferred layout grid for Japanese
 > text.

Yes, it should be possible to enforce the 12pt-based grid. I think
it's possible to do so with this markup:

   body { line-height: 12pt }
   body { line-stacking-strategy: grid-height }

That is, the grid is set based on the line-height of the element where
'line-stacking-strategy: grid-height' is set. Subsequent changes in
line-height (say, on h2) doesn't change the grid.

No?

-h&kon