[css3-linebox] aligning lines

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 13:13:09 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

I'd like to find a way to ensure that lines in different columns and
on different pages are aligned vertically. For example, in a
two-column layout the lines should use the same baselines; if
necessary, extra white space should be added to achieve this. For an
example of the behavior I want to avoid, see page 4 of [1]

One way of describing this behavior is to use the
'line-stacking-strategy' property in the css3-linebox draft [2]. It
currently accepts the 'grid-height' value, which is described as:

   The stack-height is the smallest multiple of the block element
   'line-height' computed value that can contain the block-progression
   of all the inline elements on that line when those elements are
   properly aligned.

I would want to add something like:

   Further, the stack-height is increased to a multiple of the
   computed value of 'line-height' on the containing block element.

By increasing the stack-height this way, the baselines will be aligned
-- at least if the same font is used.

There may be better ways of specifying this?

[1] http://www.princexml.com/howcome/2008/wikipedia/norway.pdf
[2] http://www.w3.org/Style/Group/css3-src/css3-linebox/Overview.html#line-stacking-strategy

-h&kon