Re: [CSS3] CSS Text Level 3, 6.1: text-align: string

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 20:07:01 -0800
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>

I apologize if you've seen this more than once. I've been having some
e-mail problems that caused it to be sent from the wrong server.
--------------------------------

On Dec 31, 2008, at 4:41 PM, L. David Baron wrote:

>>> Are there use cases that require this?
>>
>> Well, both Tab and I assumed that was the intent anyway, and was just
>> not worded quite right.
>
> I'm not convinced it was.  I could imagine that case not being
> considered; the HTML4 spec says a good bit about char alignment but
> doesn't mention it.
>
>> Here's a contrived use case of the kind of thing I was imagining:
>>
>> TD.price { text-align:"." }
>> TD.rating { text-align:"0" }
>
> Seems like TD.rating really just should be text-align: left.

Sorry. I meant for my example to use en dashes (&ndash), not en
spaces. Thus, the zero would not always be on the left, but would be
aligned with the other zeros, sometimes with an arbitrary number of
dashes to the left, and sometimes with an arbitrary number of pluses
to the right. Like this (corrected):

TD.price { text-align:"." }
TD.rating { text-align:"0" }

</>
    <tdclass="rating">0++</td>
</>
    <tdclass="rating">&ndash&ndash&ndash0</td>
</>
    <tdclass="rating">0++++</td>