Updates to section 10.8.1

From: Michael Jansson <mjan@em2-solutions.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:10:58 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
I'm still trying to understand the line layout formatting that is
described by CSS 2.1. Having read Mike Eric Meyer's inline formatting
model 'cheat sheet' at http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/inline-format.html,
I believe it describes what most browsers do (more or less), but I don't
like what I see from a typographical point of view.

I would expect growing the line-height to cause the typographical
distance between lines to grow and for the *whole* content on each line
to be centered vertically *without* affecting the vertical distance
between inline elements on that line.  That makes sense from a visual
point of view. Applying half-leading individually and independently on
each inline non-replaceable element is just plain wrong, in my mind. The
behavior is inconsistent w.r.t. use of replacable vs non-replacable
inlines at the very least, and basically prevents the vertical-align
property from being used on text.

Consequently, I'd like to propose these minor tweaks to the CSS 2.1 spec
(or rather CSS 2.2?) :-)

First paragraph of 10.8.1:
Change "/The difference between the content height and.../"
To "/The difference between the content height *of a line box* and.../"

Second paragraph of 10.8.1:
Change "/User agents center *glyphs vertically in an inline box*, adding
half-leading on the top and bottom./"
To "/User agents center *line boxes *vertically, adding half-leading on
the top and bottom./"

 From a technical point of, I believe these change would make rendering
easier (it would for my UA at least), it would give the result you
expect from a typographical point of view (see above), and it would let
you use vertical-align with text.

Any comments?

--
Regards,