Re: Clarification needed for inline boxes containing block boxes

From: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 16:56:23 +0100
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
2009/2/26 Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>:
> Giovanni Campagna wrote:
>>
>> Actually I didn't notice you referring to that section, but reading
>> more carefully it seems that "if a border had been set on the BODY
>> element in the above example, the border would be drawn around C1
>> (open at the end of the line) and C2 (open at the start of the line)".
>> That is, only the Opera behaviour is allowed per current spec.
>
> Ah, indeed.  It doesn't make the padding behavior clear, still.
>
>> If this thread is for changing it, I expressed my opinion.
>
> No, this thread is just for clarifying the spec.

Can my text be the solution?

> The resulting inline boxes should look exactly as they were contiguous
> in DOM, but owned by different line boxes (ie with a line break inside the inline box)

In this case, border and background break are controlled by the
relevant properties, and padding is applied (margin instead is
collapsed)

>>> Too bad.  At this point it's been specified as the right thing for years
>>> and
>>> web sites depend on it.
>>
>> Do web sites really depend on inline-in-block?
>
> Yes.  They don't think of it in those terms, but they write some HTML and
> expect it to render as they see it rendered.  (I assume you meant
> block-in-inline, btw).

Yeah, of course block-in-inline. Well, they wrote invalid HTML, so
they should have expected non consistent rendering.
In addition, rendering is not consistent even now, so I don't think
there are sites like that, as long as they test in IE6/7 and FF2/3
(the most used browsers)

> -Boris

Giovanni