Re: [css3-mediaqueries] grammar unspecified?

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 05:41:49 +0900, Andrey Mikhalev
<amikhal@abisoft.spb.ru> wrote:
> in WD-css3-mediaqueries-20081015 part '3. Syntax' contain mix of
> references both to generic grammar and CSS2 appendix G grammar, which
> makes it unusable:
>
> 1. "media_query_list production defined below replaces the medium
>     production from CSS2"
>     - appendix G grammar has 'medium' but does not define 'value'
>       production which used in syntax.
>     - generic grammar has 'value' but does not contain 'medium'
> production.
> 2. "RESOLUTION is to be added to the CSS2 term  production and NOT, ONLY,
>     AND, and ',' are to be added to the CSS2 value production"
>     - again, weird unclean mix of statements from two different grammars
>       (generic has no 'term', app.G has no 'value')
>     - 'value' defined in generic grammar. for me, statement above claim
>       mediaquery syntax broken (i.e. mediaquery cannot be parsed in
> generic
>       grammar w/o modification).

This is mostly because CSS grammar is a mix of productions, prose and
magic. (Ok, no magic.) This seemed like a good approximation, though if
you have suggestions on how to improve things that'd be cool.

> btw, generic value ("[ any | block | ATKEYWORD S* ]+") looks like
> overkill for mediaquery expressions listed in spec.

We could restrict it I suppose, it does not really matter either way as
far as I can tell...

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>