Re: Issue in CSS21 grammar?

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:05:14 -0500
To: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Cc: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>, www-style@w3.org
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:
> Why should UAs reject "#-2bar"? It is just extra work. Especially if you
> consider the following rule:
>
>    #112233, p { color: #112233 }
>
> which the UA would have to reject, because the first HASH tokens is used
> in the role of an ID.

id="112233" and id="-2bar" are actually totally valid IDs in HTML5, as
far as I can tell:

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-id-attribute

So I'd think CSS should definitely allow those unescaped, unless
there's a reason I'm missing to require the escaping.  (Clearly it
does need to impose stricter requirements than HTML5 imposes, like not
allowing ambiguous characters such as "." or ">" unescaped.)