Re: [css3-multicol] z-ordering of column-rules

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 00:53:36 -0800
To: robert@ocallahan.org
CC: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Robert O'Callahan wrote:

>>> Yeah actually there are, when the element is not a stacking context :-( .
>>
>>> Hakon's text is OK.
>>
>> It's not OK if it's wrong. :)
>
> Hakon's text is not wrong.

So let me get this straight. Håkon's text says that column rules
are painted *above* the border and *below* descendants. Like so:

   descendants
   <insert column rules here>
   borders
   backgrounds

But you're saying that there are cases where descendants of an element
can be painted below it. Like so:

   borders
   backgrounds
   descendants

So tell me, where in that stack, exactly, is both *above* the border
and *below* the descendants? Because such a place must always exist for
Håkon's text to always be correct.

~fantasai