Re: [css3-multicol] z-ordering of column-rules

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:46:52 -0800
To: robert@ocallahan.org
CC: HÃ¥kon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:01 AM, fantasai wrote:
>>>     Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>>>
>>> Just add a sentence to section 5:
>>> "If a column rule is wider than its gap, the column rule will
>>> overlap adjacent column boxes. **Column rules are painted above
>>> the multi-column element's background and border (if any) and
>>> below any descendants of the element.**"
>>
>> I'd make that "immediately above".
>
> I don't put it past the CSS WG to add a feature which displays above the
> border but below column-rules :-).
>
>> Are there any cases where descendants of an element can be painted below
>> it?
>
> Yeah actually there are, when the element is not a stacking context :-(.
>
> Hakon's text is OK.

It's not OK if it's wrong. :)

I'd make it "immediately above" and remove "and below any descendants of
the element". If we introduce a feature which displays above the border
but below the column-rules, then it's the responsibility of that spec to
specify the z-index with relation to both borders and column-rules.

~fantasai