Re: [css3-multicol] z-ordering of column-rules

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 7:29 AM, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

> Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
>  > See http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/#column4. The spec says nothing
> about
>  > the z-order of column-rules relative to other rendered items. It needs
> to,
>  > in terms of http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/zindex.html.
>  >
>  > For a columns element that is also a stacking context, Webkit apparently
>  > paints them in step 4 or later, e.g. above negative-zindex children of
> the
>  > columns element. My preference is for the rules to be painted as part of
> the
>  > background of the columns element, just above the actual background ---
>  > i.e., for a columns element that is also a stacking context, at the end
> of
>  > step 2. This seems a bit more logical to me. Anyway, the spec needs
>  > clarification one way or another.
>
> Could you propose some text to this effect?

Just add a sentence to section 5:
"If a column rule is wider than its gap, the column rule will overlap
adjacent column boxes. **Column rules are painted above the multi-column
element's background and border (if any) and below any descendants of the
element.**"

Rob
53:5-6]