Re: [css3-background] fallback color on background-image

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 13:16:44 -0800
To: CSS WG <www-style@w3.org>
On Friday 2009-02-20 12:20 -0800, fantasai wrote:
> You raised a parsing issue with using slash for both, and disambiguation
> is less necessary for color (where always specifying both is a possible
> workaround) than it is for background-size (where it would be mixed up
> with background-position). So we dropped the slash for color. I don't
> like it either, I also preferred the old syntax. If you have a better
> solution than dropping the slash, or if you, as an implementor, think
> keeping the slash is worth the parsing complexity, then let's reopen
> this and resolve it another way. The current resolution was uncomfortable
> enough to me that I left it marked in the draft.

There's no parsing complexity if we do either one of:
 * come up with another syntax for separating background-size in the
   shorthand
 * require that you can't specify background-size in the shorthand
   without also specifying background-position (so that you can't
   use the '/' separating background-position and background size
   and simultaneously omit background-position)

-David