Re: Why "color"

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 18:57:19 +0100
To: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
* Philip TAYLOR wrote:
>All of your points are well made (as were those of David Singer),
>but I would want to comment on your last paragraph (above) :
>it may be advantageous to non-native speakers of English to
>[...] use English /at this time/, but unless we seriously discuss
>(without resort to sarcasm) how this Anglo-centric bias can
>be eliminated, all we are doing is continuing to perpetuate
>what I regard as a highly undesirable state of affairs.

The time to discuss allowing alternate names for properties is when
CSS users have built and deployed successful tools that allow doing
this locally, like a web server module that maps "fr-css" to "en-css",
or source code editors that display "fr-css" but save to "en-css". We
could then discuss whether to standardize some such mappings, or make
features available that allow arbitrary user-defined mappings.

If local communities can but do not solve a particular problem, there
is usually insufficient reason for the broader community to "solve" it
for them.