Re: [css3-transitions] Simplification

On Feb 19, 2009, at 2:34 AM, Bert Bos wrote:

> A thought that I suspect has a flaw, but then again, maybe not...
>
> What uses cases would not be covered (and how bad would that be) if
> the transition property were simplified to just:
>
>    Name:            transition
>    Value:           immediate | gradual
>    Initial:         immediate
>    Applies to:      all elements
>    Percentages:     N/A
>    Media:           interactive
>    Computed value:  specified value
>
> If an element changes from one state (pseudo-class) to another and
> in the latter state the 'transition' property is 'gradual' than the
> style transition is gradual for all properties that are capable of
> gradual change (as listed in the draft). The duration of the
> (visual, audible or tactile) transition is UA dependent and so is
> the time-to-value mapping for each property (it need not be linear),
> but the duration should be less than a second.

I think being able to set the duration is pretty important. One second
would be too short for, e.g. having on object move from off-screen on
the left all the way to the right side of the window (especially on a
bigger window), or having an object rotate 360 degrees. It might even
be best to be able to have the speed based on the size of the object
or its parent.

Most of the time I would personally prefer to have some ease-in and
ease-out to the transition, but "how much" would vary depending on
what looked right in that situation.