Re: [CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions 2009-02-04: box-shadow and border-image

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since image-borders are mostly replacements for normal borders, and since
> box-shadow is something that looks as if the border-box or border is casting
> a shadow, it makes sense that (if box-shadow is going to be generated) it
> would be as if the images of the image-border were casting the shadow. But
> inset shadows are not shadows of the border. They are shadows of "everything
> outside the padding edge",

Right. Based on that I would say, when border-image present, treat the area
outside the border-edge as opaque, give the border area the transparency of
the border-images, and treat the area inside the padding area as
transparent, then cast the shadow of that.

Basically, if you draw an inset shadow along with border-image then we
assume your images define a custom shape for the inner border and the outer
border is the border-box. If you draw an outset shadow along with
border-image then we assume your images define a custom shape for the outer
border and the inner border is the padding-box.

Rob
53:5-6]