Re: [CSS] Extending media queries

From: Germain Garand <germain@ebooksfrance.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 00:57:13 +0100
To: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Cc: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>, "CSS 3 W3C Group" <www-style@w3.org>
Le mardi 17 février 2009, François REMY a écrit :

> How can I do to know if the browser that read my page support box-shadow ?
>
> With my proposal, it's simple :
> @media (implements: box-shadow) { ... }
> @media !(implements: box-shadow) and (implements: border-image) { ...}

Remember that media queries are about describing the output device, not about
the user agent.

So those statements make no sense, as your rendering device does
not 'implement box shadow' or any of CSS - the user agent does.

Your proposal, regardless of its merit, would need to define it's own domain
of query.

But anyway, like all User Agent detection schemes, it will be abused to
provide selective support, undermining CSS's graceful fallback on a global
scale:

@agent (implements: -ozm-proprietary-property) { @import ... }
@agent (implements: -bzo-proprietary-property) { @import ... }
/* sorry, you are out of luck, welcome to the wonders of unstyled content */

this should not be encouraged or made easy..

Greetings,
Germain