Re: [CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions 2009-02-04: box-shadow and border-image

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:15 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>wrote:

> Is it possible to intelligently draw a complex shadow for this
> border-image?
>  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-background/border.png
>  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-background/borderresult.png
> Now imagine I said 'space' instead of 'round'.
>
> If you and roc are able to find a way to intelligently draw complex shadows
> for something like that, and are willing to implement it, I'll put it in
> the spec.

The real issue here is that using a box-shadow on an element with
transparent padding-box is bizarre, whether or not you're using
border-images. I don't know why the spec has us clip the padding-box out of
the shadow in the first place, since it can only lead to effects that
violate real-world physics.

If your diamond-border example had a solid padding-box background, and the
border-image was modified so the inside of the diamond border is filled with
the same background color, then drawing a diamond-shaped drop shadow for the
border would be easy and look good.

Rob
53:5-6]