Re: [CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions 2009-02-04: box-shadow and border-image

On Feb 12, 2009, at 3:44 PM, David Hyatt wrote:

>> But if you have, say, a border of repeating diamond-shaped tiles, I
>> don't really know what authors would want if they use 'spread' with
>> that. But your definition is probably as good as any.
>
> Applying a scale when drawing perhaps?

Please no. Where would you center the scale? You end up with some
parts of the shadow further away than others. Regular box-shadows are
not scaled, and that is not at all what I would expect or want most of
the time. I'm not just saying this to be obstinate. There is a huge
difference between scaling and spreading. If you want to add scaling
to the things you can do to shadows, that's one thing (also include
where the scaling should be centered). But it isn't anything like
spreading.

Really, I'm not just trying to argue with everything. I could live
with UA-computed border shadows, if done right (even though it is less
control than putting them into the image). Substituting scaling for
spreading would be exactly the wrong way to go.