Re: New feature request

FYI, you need to 'Reply to All' in your mail client when replying to
threads. I've CC'd www-style into this mail - hopefully it won't
generate a new thread

On 13 Feb 2009, at 00:30, SimDigital - Gustavo Villa wrote:

> Tks James, but it is a little bit different that I propose.
>
> "Your" both ways allow to define single values variables. It isn't
> the best in my point of view.
> I don't want to write twice what property use (@variables or @define).

Wrong - fantasais proposal for Constants explicitly proposes 'value',
'style-set' and 'selector' constants; Glazman/Hyatts variables
proposal is a slightly 'looser' syntax, but presumably can achieve the
same.

> I think that will be much more helpfull if we EXTEND class atributes.
>
> Today, if i want to align some elements centered with 1000px width,
> i will need to do it:
> .centerAligner {
> width:1000px;
> margin:0px auto;
> bla bla bla bla....
> }
> and in my HTML it:
>
> I thing that is wrong! I don't need to change HTML to format my
> layout. CSS need to allow me to do this without any html changes.

I don't really understand your example and how it relates to your
proposal- from what I can see you are demonstrating how you can apply
multiple classes to an element? Please provide an example of your
proposal based on the above 'current, real-world' example, and explain
how it might work. Currently your proposal example in your initial
mail looks a lot to me like a variables/constant function.

> "Your way" solve my problem, but it is more a code solution that
> format solution.
> My suggestion is more productive!
>
> Understand the difference between both?
> Dave Hyatts & Daniel Glazmans define variables. My way extends
> another classes.
> Gosh, i really don't need variables! It don't need to be a
> programmer language.
>
> Regards,
> Villa.
>

> James Hopkins escreveu:
>>
>> This is covered by both Dave Hyatts & Daniel Glazmans proposal for
>> Variables (http://disruptive-innovations.com/zoo/cssvariables/) and
>> subsequent counter-proposal by fantasai (http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/specs/constants/
>> ). I recently wrote a comparison of both proposals which can be
>> found at CSS3.Info (http://www.css3.info/summary-of-the-two-current-css-constants-proposals/
>> ).
>>
>> Hope this helps, and welcome to the mailing list :)
>>
>> James
>>

>> On 12 Feb 2009, at 19:54, SimDigital - Gustavo Villa wrote:
>>

>>> It is allowed today? No.
>>>
>>> Why to use? To simplify CSS day-by-day maintence, once it allow
>>> designers to use more cascade advantages.
>>>
>>> How does it is did today?
>>> if we have something like this:
>>>
>>> To adjust site width, we need to do it:
>>> 1)
>>> ..header { width:800px; font-size:20px;}
>>> ..content { width:800px; font-size:12px;}
>>>
>>> or:
>>> 2)
>>> ..header, .content {width:800px;}
>>> ..header {font-size:20px;}
>>> ..content {font-size:20px;}
>>>
>>> or still it:
>>> 3)
>>>
>>> ..layoutwidth {width:800px;}
>>> ..header {font-size:20px;}
>>> ..content {font-size:20px;}
>>>

>>> The problem is that if we use the solution 1, we need to read all
>>> lines of CSS to be sure that we dont forget nothing.
>>> If we use the solution 2, we need to read all lines of HTML to be
>>> sure that we dont forget nothing.
>>> And if we use solution 3, we will need to change HTML if in the
>>> future that element dont need to be width adjusted. That solution
>>> I think is poor, because CSS just need to format HTML/XHTML
>>> generated, not to change the generated code to allow formating.
>>>
>>> Now, the solution that i suggest:
>>> Create an way to concatenate classes attributes like this:
>>>
>>> ..layoutwidth {width:800px;}
>>>
>>> ..header {
>>> import:.layoutwidth;
>>> font-size:20px;
>>> }
>>>
>>> ..content {
>>> import:.layoutwidth;
>>> font-size:12px;
>>> }

This example to me, looks exactly like a variable/constant - you're
defining a 'style-set' constant (".header") and subsequently importing
it into ".header" and ".content" selector blocks.