Re: [CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions 2009-02-04: box-shadow and border-image

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:22 AM, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:

> I think Brad's point is that no shadow should appear under the original
> location of the padding box either.  It's a given that the shadow itself
> when offset will contain only transparent pixels in its own offset padding
> area,

Don't you mean "opaque pixels" here?
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-background/#the-box-shadow
"An outer box-shadow casts a shadow as if the border-box of the element were
opaque."

but the offset "border" portion of the shadow should also not appear behind
> the original padding box.

Sure, that's what I was trying to achieve.

> Basically you clip out the original padding box from any drawing you do
> right up front just as with normal box shadow, and then build/paint the
> shadow as you suggested.

And then paint the border-images over the top? I guess that's good enough.

It's actually kind of weird that an element with a transparent background
casts an opaque shadow. I didn't follow those discussions when they
happened; now I wish I had argued for the shadow to actually shadow the
element's content. Making the shadow depend on the alpha values of
border-images but not other kinds of borders, or the element's background or
content, seems weird.

Rob
53:5-6]