Re: [CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions 2009-02-04: box-shadow and border-image

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> 1. How to deal with soft image edges, where there is variable opacity?
>>> Currently, WebKit seems to clip shadows to the vector edge of the border
>>> box, and not draw them behind areas of variable opacity (such as
>>> backgrounds). It seems like for a raster image that was 50% opaque, it would
>>> have draw the shadow behind the whole image at 50% of its normal opacity.
>>

>> That's the way to go. What you would do is construct a mask the size of
>> the border-box whose alpha values in the border are the border-image's alpha
>> values, and whose alpha values in the padding-box are 1. Then you apply blur
>> to that mask (or not)
>>

> ..and then clip out the padding-box from that, which ordinarily would not
> have a shadow from the border cast onto it (or does this shadow still get
> drawn behind the padding box?)...

You build the element's mask, then you build the shadow, then you cut the
mask out of the shadow by painting alpha=0 with the "source" Porter-Duff
operator using the element's mask as the mask. The alpha values of the
cut-out shadow will be the shadow alpha value multiplied by (1 - the mask
alpha value). So no shadow will draw under the padding-box.

So one question just came to mind: how do we deal with box-shadow "spread"
if we're using the border-images to generate a non-rectangular mask? I don't
see any reasonable option.

Rob
53:5-6]