Re: Armenian numbering: findings, recommendations and request to CSS WG

From: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 20:39:44 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org, www-international@w3.org

On Thursday 12 February 2009 13:32, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> *BUT* it could be, though, that traditional numeric Armenian
> numeric system might not be the most pressuring thing for Armenian
> internet users.  Wheras Armenican alphabetic list would be very
> relevant. Are there any langauge that doesn't use its alphabet for
> making simple alphabetically enumerated lists from time to time?
> Phonebooks exist in any language, right? (PS: I know that even
> alphabetical lists are a complicated matter.)

Clearly, Armenian *does* use the alphabet for numbering, just like
English, but after the tenth letter the algorithm differs a bit.

It would be confusing to make lists where Ի means 11 instead of 20:

    Ղ) eighteenth item (not 90th)
    Ճ) nineteenth item (not 100th)
    Մ) twentieth item (not 200th)

instead of

    ԺԸ) eighteenth item
    ԺԹ) nineteenth item
    Ի) twentieth item

I'm not Armenian, but I think the first looks strange.

Bert