Re: Armenian numbering: findings, recommendations and request to CSS WG

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 08:54:15 +0100
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Cc: 'fantasai' <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style@w3.org, www-international@w3.org

[resent, it apparently never hit www-style yesterday]

As I already told the CSS WG, an expert told me tonight that numbered
lists using the traditional armenian numbering are very rare. She sent
me a few minutes ago a mail telling me that even in liturgic documents,
numbering is done using arabic numbers and almost never using armenian
numbers, even in old sources.

Attached is a copy of the Gospel of Saint John.

So the question about 'armenian' mapping to 'lower-armenian' or
'upper-armenian' is probably not a hot issue: these values will
remain underused anyway.

http://disruptive-innovations.com/zoo/csswg/ArmenianExample.jpg

</Daniel>