Re: Unicode Normalization thread should slow down; summary needed

On Feb 10, 2009, at 12:47, Robert J Burns wrote:

> I originally like the statement of the problem Henri composed and
> added to the wiki page. However, the latest edits that remove L.
> David Baron's problem statement actually make the piece almost
> impossible to follow. I know what its supposed to say and I have
> trouble following it, so I think an uninitiated reader will not have
> a clue what the issue is about.

I didn't remove the original problem statement. I *moved* it to the
*linked* page that approaches the issue from the Unicode technical
background point of view as opposed from the point of view of what
authors should be able to do.

I've added a concrete Vietnamese example and noted that the other case
needs a concrete example. I also added a quick explanation of
normalization forms using the Vietnamese letter as an example.

(It seems that the Vietnamese input mode on Mac OS X normalizes to
NFC, by the way. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mac OS X
already had solution #1 covered and this was just an issue of other
systems catching up.)

> Even before these latest changes the page needed more clarification
> added. For example, some of the solutions are difficult to
> differentiate: for example number #1 and #4 (originally #3).

What's difficult to differentiate between #1 and #4? Solution #1 is
requiring input methods to normalize. Solution #4 is creating a new
encoding name utf-8-nfc for allowing authors to opt in to consumer-
side normalization on the encoding decoder layer.

> In any event the latest changes have made the page seem completely
> unconnected to the discussions on the list serve.

I gathered that the point of moving to the wiki was not to avoid
bringing it all to the list serve.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi