Re: Unicode Normalization thread should slow down; summary needed

On Feb 8, 2009, at 01:03, Robert J Burns wrote:

>> Per L. David Baron's suggestion, I started a wiki page on the esw
>> wiki. If there's a better place for this, feel free to move it there.
>>
>> <http://esw.w3.org/topic/I18N/CanonicalNormalization>
>>

> I've also added a companion page:
>
> <http://esw.w3.org/topic/I18N/CanonicalNormalizationIssues>
>
> In retrospect I think I should have dropped the word "Canonical"
> from this page's name, since I ended up delving into non-canonical
> normalization compatibility equivalence and even general case folding.

I think the problem statement and the companion page get carried away
into corners of Unicode normalization that aren't all even addressed
in computer languages when they apply to English and, yet, minting
identifiers works well enough for writers of English.

To focus the problem statement on what people should be able to do (as
opposed to starting from Unicode normalization) and to avoid a
situation where orthographic correctness for other languages were
awarded a higher standard than the level of pragmatic incorrectness
tolerated for English, I've added an alternative problem statement to
http://esw.w3.org/topic/I18N/CanonicalNormalization

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi