Re: [CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions 2009-02-04: box-shadow and border-image

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 6:58 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> You're just hung up on the name.
>>

> Yeah, I am. Names are important.

Actually I think this is really the heart of our differences.

I think you see box-shadow as just another border effect, a peer of
border-style, border-color, etc. Then it seems natural that if border-image
overrides border-style and border-color, it should also override box-shadow.

I don't see box-shadow as a border effect in that way, so it seems unnatural
for border-image to override it.

The reason I don't see it as a border effect is because it doesn't share the
nomenclature of the other border effects. If it was named border-shadow,
then I would think your position reasonable, although still possibly not
desirable. At least authors would be far less surprised when border-image
overrides it.

So I think the first thing you should argue for here is to have box-shadow
renamed to border-shadow.

Rob
53:5-6]