Re: background-position-x & y

Faruk Ateş wrote:

> You make a good point; perhaps it would be more useful to have this
> sprite syntax:
>
> background-image: sprite(x-start, y-start, x-end, y-end[, url(path)]);
>
> With the fifth parameter having to be set only once if desired.

I like the functionality this affords, but it seems inconsistent with
how "shorthands" (which is effectively what this is) work with
inheritance elsewhere in the language.

Here's another thought:

selector {
     sprite-image: url(some_image);
     background-image: sprite(x1, y1, x2, y2);
}

However, it seems that neither proposal works all that well when there
are multiple background images, as is allowed in CSS3 Backgrounds and
Borders. My proposal also suffers when sprite() is used for other
image-accepting properties such as list-style-image, since it becomes
impossible to use a separate sprite for each.

(and I think list-style-image is an important use-case, since it seems
that many times I've used background images to fake list-style-image so
that I could use the sprite technique.)