Re: Proposal for overflow painting order

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm not an expert on the overflow painting rules, but the current UA
> default behavior makes sense to me, and more importantly, *can't be
> reproduced easily through other methods.*.  On the other hand, putting
> it unilaterally over or under the overlapping content can be easily
> done through z-index.  It's not an absolutely ideal solution, but
> it'll work for the vast majority of cases, and is very simple.

I'm not sure why, but as shown by the attached html, simply using z-index
does not seem to create the desired effect. I cannot get the first div over
the second, and I cannot get the fourth div over the fifth; even if I
specify a z-index on all six divs, it still does not work.