Re: [css3-gcpm] new draft -- including "overflow: paged"

On Feb 5, 2009, at 5:38 AM, Bert Bos wrote:

> There are so far three kinds, and they can often be combined, in the
> sense that one is used for the horizontal direction and another for
> the vertical one:
>
>  - a scrollbar or similar continuous, interactive mechanism, such as a
>    hand cursor or 2D pager,
>  - a marquee effect, either vertical or horizontal (i.e., a
>    non-interactive mechanism),
>  - or a page flipper, something like a dog's ear in the corner, or an
>    overlay of next/previous buttons.

That would be cool. I'd prefer some author control over the page
flipper button (dog ear), such as top or bottom corners (for dog ears)
or midway along two opposing edges (for arrows or click bars), and
what images to be used. If I could specify the images to be used, then
the active area of the dog ear could be based on the intrinsic image
size. Maybe we could have something like this:

overflow-style:
	auto |
	marquee-line(<marquee properties>) |
	marquee-block(<marquee properties>) |
	paged(<paged properties>)

<marquee properties> would be the other properties listed on that same
page (just the values, not the property names), and <paged properties>
would be:

<position> would be a percentage that works similar to background-
position percentages, except only one percent instead of two. It would
be inside the right and left edges of the padding box for overflow-x
and the top and bottom edges for overflow-y (the percentage would
determine where along that edge: a corner, or somewhere in between
corners).

<offset> would be a single length to determine how far inside the
padding-edge it would be drawn.

specifying 'auto', or leaving blank between the parentheses would let
the UA decide.