Re: Unicode Normalization

From: Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 17:46:15 -0600
To: public-i18n-core@w3.org, W3C Style List <www-style@w3.org>

A slight correction on this that isn't really all that  germane to the
present conversation, but I felt I should make nonetheless and this
correction helps improve understanding of the various issues.

On Feb 4, 2009, at 3:07 PM, I wrote:
> Take for example the following three strings (NFD, NFC and non-
> normalized):
>
> 〈this string〉
> 〈this string〉
> 〈this string〉

Actually the first form is non-normalized too. The second string is
conforming to both NFC and NFD. The third string is non-normalized as
well

Just to provide further clarification each line is a separate string
where the interior "this string" is an identical code point sequence
irrelevant for normalization purposes. The angle brackets themselves
however, have been encoded repeatedly as different code points despite
Unicode offering no semantically distinct interpretation between the
two code points.

Take care,
Rob