Re: [CSS21] float rules when interacting with floats outside containing block

From: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 21:15:46 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

David Hyatt wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2009, at 2:55 PM, Anton Prowse wrote:
>
>> Note however that if the preceding floats even partly intersect the
>> content area of the containing block of the new float, all the rules
>> /are/ applied in all browsers mentioned except Safari which applies
>> all the float rules but not the BFC rule. (And except IE7, which
>> cannot allow the containing block to overlap the preceding floats due
>> to its hasLayout model.)
>>

> Can you show me a test case?  This may be fixed in the latest WebKit,
> but I want to make sure.

Sure:

http://dev.moonhenge.net/css21/test-cases/block-formatting-contexts/bfc-in-containing-block-next-to-intruding-float--left.html

http://dev.moonhenge.net/css21/test-cases/block-formatting-contexts/bfc-in-containing-block-next-to-intruding-float--right.html

These are merely modifications of your own test cases.

(I confess to having been too lazy to experiment with the second, rtl
test case in IE8-RC1 yesterday;  on doing so, we see that IE's doing
something a bit funky.  Try slightly decreasing or increasing the margin
on the aqua div.inner for extra fun.)

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net