Re: [selectors-api] Selectors API I18N Review...

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 15:44:38 +0200
Cc: "'Martin Duerst'" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, "'Phillips, Addison'" <addison@amazon.com>, <public-i18n-core@w3.org>, "'fantasai'" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "'Lachlan Hunt'" <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, <www-style@w3.org>
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>

On Feb 3, 2009, at 15:10, Richard Ishida wrote:

> I didn't have to look hard for a problem. If you install the Tlicho
> (Tłįchǫ or Dogrib) keyboard on Windows (see a picture athttp://rishida.net/scripts/pickers/tlich
> o/) and type the name of the language itself, it comes out in NFD.
> It is also possible to incorrectly order multiple diacritics (ie.
> not even NFD). You could say that the keyboard *ought* to churn out
> NFC, but it's too late. People using those keyboards will be
> producing content that may look different to that created by people
> using other input methods.

Making existing browsers normalize before string equality checks is
also too late.

When considering what software to change in a future version, to me it
seems more sensible to change the software that is less performance-
critical, is closer to the problem and doesn't depend on wide
consistent deployment to address the problem for a given Web author.
That is, it seems more sensible to make the input methods produce
consistently ordered output. This should be within the realm of
possibility; after all, producing pre-composed characters with
European diacritic dead keys is a solved problem.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi