Re: [css3-background] box-shadow and border-break

Brad Kemper wrote:

> That would follow the logic of what that sentence is meaning to say, but
> neither Mozilla or WebKit is doing this yet.
>
> It does seem to me that this should be taken out of "4.8 The
> ‘box-shadow’ property", and should be covered in "4.6 The ‘border-break’
> property". Perhaps in that section, the following:
>
> If the style is set to ‘|none|’, no border and no padding are inserted
> at the break.
>
> should be expanded to this:
>
> If the style is set to ‘|none|’, no border and no padding are inserted
> at the break, and all contents and properties that would normally render
> something below that edge are suppressed. This includes clipping the
> box-shadow and any absolutely positioned contents, and suppressing the
> border-image for that edge. The end result should be as though the
> elements were rendered with no break present, and then sliced by the
> break afterward.

I've added some clarification wording to 4.6. The section now reads

   # If the value of ‘border-break’ is ‘close’, then each box is
   # independently wrapped with the border and padding. The
   # ‘border-radius’, ‘border-image’, and ‘box-shadow’, if any,
   # are applied to each box independently.
   #
   # If the style is set to ‘none’, no border and no padding are
   # inserted at the break. Otherwise, if some other border style
   # is given, padding is added as wide as the corresponding side
   # of the ‘padding’ property and a border is added with the
   # specified style, width, and color. No box-shadow is drawn
   # outside the broken edge, and the ‘border-image’ is rendered
   # for the whole box as if it were unbroken: the effect is as
   # though the element were rendered with no break present, and
   # then sliced by the break afterward.

Let me know if that is clear enough. (Abspos and other content-related
clipping is outside the scope of this spec.)

~fantasai