Re: [CSS21][css3-namespace][css3-page][css3-selectors][css3-content] Unicode Normalization

From: Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 10:00:20 -0800
To: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@amazon.com>
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Yes.

Adding a few facts about NFC, for those not fully acquainted with it. Out of
the 100K Unicode characters:

   - Other than CJK compatibility ideographs, there are (currently) 118
   characters that are always transformed by NFC into other characters.
      -
      http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/list-unicodeset.jsp?a=[[:nfcqc=no:]-[:name=/CJK%20COMPATIBILITY%20IDEOGRAPH/:]]
      - The CJK COMPATIBILITY IDEOGRAPHs are a larger set, and will grow
      over time.
      - There are a further 102 characters that may or may not be
   transformed:
      - http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/list-unicodeset.jsp?a=[:nfcqc=maybe
      :]
   - Such transformation may be combining with a previous character, or may
   involve reordering. That is, NFC puts non-spacing characters like *combining
   acute *and *combining ring below* into a canonical order.
   - While theoretically NFD and NFC are equally appropriate, in practice
   NFD is only used internally (the one significant exception I know of is the
   Apple file system) -- NFC is the form recommended for interchange.

Mark