breaking overflow

From: Niels Matthijs <niels.matthijs@internetarchitects.be>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 08:14:47 -0000
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Hi all,

I was just wondering about the overflow property the other day. In many
cases it is used to fix certain "unwanted" behaviour. From what I know,
it has a nice effect on breaking collapsing margins and clearing floats.
In an older discussion it was also suggested as a fix for nested
elements with backgrounds defined spilling over rounded corners set on
parent elements.

The problem as I see it is that overflow:hidden is used for some effects
that have little to do with the overflow itself. It's already a little
annoying, but in the case of rounded corners it would become a real
mess. (you can't have elements break out from the parent just to
"protect" your rounded corners?)

So I was wondering whether we are trying to avoid using overflow:hidden
for unrelated effects (more control over clearing and collapsing
margins) or whether it would be good to have a break-overflow property,
allowing a certain element to break out any overflow:hidden set on its
parent?

Greets,

Niels Matthijs

http://www.onderhond.com