Re: Request for ::di pseudoelement

From: Alexis Deveria <adeveria@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:12:17 -0500
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I find myself once again ripping out a <dl> and replacing it
> with a <ul> with headers in the <li>s, because there's no grouping
> element around <dt>s and <dd>s.  There's a perennial request for a
> <di> element, but that's not really the correct place to solve the
> problem - HTML has no need for any additional help in grouping the
> dt/dd elements, as the grouping is well-defined in the spec.  This is
> purely a styling issue, and a common one for me.

Have you considered using a table instead? I know at first glance it
may seem a bit weird, but if you style the elements to be blocks
instead of rows/cells, you may be able to get the effect you want
while maintaining proper semantics.

I mentioned it before for my problem here [1]. Also worth noting is
the comment under mine which mentions a problem with zcorpan's
::key-value-group.

[1] http://forums.whatwg.org/viewtopic.php?p=496#496

Alexis Deveria