Re: Proposal: Fixed Table Headers in CSS

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:40:28 -0600
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, "Eric A. Meyer" <eric@meyerweb.com>, Mikko Rantalainen <mikko.rantalainen@peda.net>, www-style CSS <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> The iPhone interface for such iPhone apps as "Contacts" solves this very neatly. The sticky content does not accumulate within the viewport, but instead gets pushed off-screen when other sticky content scrolls up to meet it. If you are not familiar with this iPhone convention, then first take a look at this jQuery-based demo I found on the Web:
>
> http://demo.marcofolio.net/iphone_contact/

Dude made things *way* too complicated.  I grabbed his code, fixed it
so that it does what we actually want (gradual displacement), and just
generally simplified things.  If you ignore accumulation, the whole
thing is ridiculously easy to do in JS (11 lines total, 5 significant
lines of code).

http://www.xanthir.com/etc/stickypos/