Re: Feature queries

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 21:26:08 -0600
To: Rijk van Geijtenbeek <rijk@opera.com>
Cc: WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>
On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Rijk van Geijtenbeek <rijk@opera.com> wrote:
> Not minimize the chance - but you'll certainly postpone the date when
> authors can use this for browser-detection with several years :)

Well, like I said, the only way to browser-detect with the !supports
approach is to use no-ops, which aren't overly common in CSS.  Worst
case, it limits the number of prefixed attributes that UAs end up
having to support due to them being used for browser-detection to a
very small number.  (And they can then turn them into true no-ops, if
they so choose, that are only recognized as being supported but that
have no effect.  This is almost as good as phasing them out entirely.)