Re: Feature queries

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 14:23:52 -0800
To: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
Daniel Glazman wrote:
> Le 09/12/09 08:48, fantasai a écrit :
>
>> bz asked me to post a proposal on feature queries: syntax for allowing
>> authors to apply CSS rules based on whether a particular CSS feature
>> is supported.
>
> I think the key here is parsing. Your "supported" above should probably
> mean "is correctly parsed by the user agent". Going beyond that would
> probably cost too much.

We are actually making a stronger claim than that:
   http://www.w3.org/TR/css-beijing/#partial

"Parsed correctly" is not a useful measure for authors. "The UA believes
it has a usable level of support for this particular property-value combo"
is much more useful. Sure there are bugs. There are always bugs.

~fantasai