Re: Feature queries

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 13:05:14 -0800
To: Andrey Mikhalev <amikhal@abisoft.spb.ru>
CC: www-style@w3.org
On 12/9/09 11:15 AM, Andrey Mikhalev wrote:
>> @supports ( declaration-block ) {
>> ruleset
>> }
>
> such at-rule already exists. called @media.
> btw, alows to avoid stylesheet load.

We did consider adding media queries for this, but the syntax ends up
looking pretty terrible, especially if and/or are allowed: too many
parentheses.

You're right that it would allow @import to be conditioned on this
stuff; is that a highly desirable property?

>> The second is a !important-like syntax: all declarations with !supported
>> must be supported for the style rule to take effect. This could be useful
>> for more localized constructs, like changing text color depending on
>> text-shadow support.
>
> what if i want both '!important' and '!supported' for same decl?

Yeah.  I don't think we want !supported.  fantasai likes it, dbaron and
I don't much, and as has been pointed out it has a number of problems.

-Boris