Re: [cssom] unrecognized rules and properties

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 07:46:02 -0800
To: Mike Wilson <mikewse@hotmail.com>
CC: "'Anne van Kesteren'" <annevk@opera.com>, www-style@w3.org
On 12/7/09 3:13 AM, Mike Wilson wrote:
> It seems to me that retaining unrecognized properties is quite
> trivial

That really depends. For example, Gecko's property storage is optimized
for low memory use and speed of certain access patterns.  Properties
aren't stored as strings, but as packed parsed values (effectively a
"compiled" format).  Not only that but they're identified by numeric
identifiers (again as a performance optimization; this allows looking up
information about them via array indexing).

It's not quite obvious to me how to sanely store unrecognized properties
in this setup, and it would certainly require a good bit of reworking of
the current code and data structures.

-Boris