On Dec 3, 2009, at 9:48 PM, Patrick Garies wrote:

> On 12/3/2009 9:52 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>> I'm not sure that 'clear:both' makes sense when there are more than
>> two possible values for 'float', except for legacy purposes, but
>> 'clear:all' does make sense, and is a more standard CSS keyword.
>
> |clear: both| still makes perfect sense; |start| and |end| will still
> correspond to only two possible directions: left or right. The only
> thing that will change is that the direction is dynamically determined.

It makes sense as long as there are only two other values for 'clear', and not four. I'm just not all that convinced yet that those who need a writing-direction based float that's different from right & left don't also need a clearing method that's different as well (for cases where the different types are used together). Are you that confident that cases mixing the two pairs of floating values would be well served by only one pair for clearing?