Re: [css3-transitions] edits to transitions spec

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 12:14 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 7:57 AM, Giovanni Campagna
>> <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Section 3, it says: "Implementations must not start a transition when
>>> the computed value of a property changes as a result of declarative
>>> (as opposed to scripted) animation. "
>>> I read this as "changing the :hover state of an element must not start
>>> a transition", which is obviously against the purpose of declarative
>>> transitions (as opposed to script-controlled animations)
>>
>> Note the word "animation" at the end of that sentence.  Changing the
>> :hover state is not a declarative animation, and so doesn't fall under
>> the scope of that sentence.
>
> Actually, I think Giovanni's got a really good point. The distinction
> we want here is triggering on changes to specified values, not changes
> that only affect the computed value. And we want this limitation to
> apply to scripting as well: triggering a transition on <span> because
> I changed <p>'s color doesn't make any more sense if I do it via JS
> instead of 'transition'.

Hmm?  We certainly do want to trigger a transition on the <span>.  The
only time we don't is if the <p> is *already* transitioning color (we
don't want the span undergoing tons of transitions, one per
animation-step), and that's already taken care of by the line in the
spec.

I don't want there to be a difference between "span { transition:
color 1s; } p { color: blue; } p { color: red; }" and "span {
transition: color 1s; color: blue; } span { color: red; }" when I'm

True, we don't it to trigger a transition on the <span> if we're doing
a js-based transition of the <p>'s color, but the js can temporarily
turn off transitions on child elements and then restore them
afterwards. (And this can be done in the library, so it's invisible to
authors.)  The eventual goal is to make CSS-based transitions powerful
enough to handle virtually all transition needs.