On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 3:00 AM, Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com> wrote:
> 1. For rtl, does clear: left on an element clear an element with float:
> start or float end (or only float: left)? I would think the later case (end)
> since the direction is reversed.
>
> 2. For rtl, does clear: right on an element clear an element with float: end
> or float: start (or only float: left)? I would think the later case (start)
> since the direction is reversed.

They'd clear anything to the left/right of them, which would include
float:start/end if appropriate.

> 3. Rejecting the previous to questions, should the values clear: start and
> clear: end also be used (or only used) to clear floated elements with the
> values of start and end? This seems more logical and maybe would keep it
> simple.

It's possible.  Can you think of a use-case where you'd want to clear
in a text-direction-dependent way?  (One that comes to mind is the
"floating stack" of elements that float and clear in the same
direction.  But is that a layout thing that's adequately served by
right/left, or a typographic thing that needs start/end?)

> 4. What should happen when float: inherit is used for rtl and deep in the
> source an element has the attribute dir="ltr" is used? This may not apply
> since there is this in the spec.

float:inherit, by itself, will just inherit none.  If the box's parent
was floating, it'll just inherit that float value.  There's nothing
magic going on here; the values themselves don't change based on
text-direction.  (That is, start/end aren't just context-dependent
shortcuts for left/right.  They're full values in their own right.)