fantasai wrote:
[...]
>   - RESOLVED: Add 'start' and 'end' values to 'float' (CSS3 Box Model)
[...]
> Float values
> ============
>   <glazou> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Nov/0336.html
>   glazou: Last item is about float values, some discussion on www-style
>   glazou: Peter noticed a subthread about the behavior of overflow
>           regarding floats in ltr vs rtl
>   peter: I think dbaron was actually bringing that one up
>   <ChrisL> (Opera10 has a bunch of extra passes for color, i will send
> in a test report)
>   <glazou> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Nov/0343.html
>   <plinss> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Dec/0009.html
>   <TabAtkins>
> http://css-class.com/test/css/bidi/float-left-right-edge-rtl.htm
>   <TabAtkins>
> http://css-class.com/test/css/bidi/float-right-left-edge-rtl.htm
>   Tab: the original part, ignoring the overflow business, was just
>        about float direction based on text direction
>   Tab: Instead of being absolute left or right
>   glazou: So 'start' and 'end'?
>   Tab: Yes. I think that's a fine idea
>   glazou: I think it's useful for bidi
>   fantasai: I agree.
>   glazou: I think we should add it
>   <szilles> i agree also
>   glazou: Other opinions?
>   Bert: I have no problem with adding it, not so sure it's useful
>   glazou: If you want to build web apps using floats in the bidi world,
>           then you need it
>   glazou: It's useful, because you have to reverse everything.
>   Bert: That's the problem, you don't have to reverse everything, only
>         some things
>   Tab+Chris: Right, so you use start and end when you need them to reverse,
>              and left and right when you don't
>   Brad: This would be useful for drop-caps
>   Bert: So we're editing the Box Model, my spec
>   RESOLVED: Add start and end values to float
>   ACTION Bert edit box model to add start and end to float

I can follow this reasoning and support the values of using start and
end for floats in rtl.

My question is in what way and in what instances does float (or the
opposite edge of the float direction) behave in an overflow box? Either
with a div with overflow values of auto or scroll or when the float
overflows the body element.

 >   Tab+Chris: Right, so you use start and end
 >   when you need them to reverse, and left and
 >   right when you don't.

Does the overflow or scrolling behavior changes (reverses) along with
the direction of the float for rtl when start and end is used?

--
Alan http://css-class.com/