Re: [css3-2d-transforms] skew(<angle> [, <angle>])

From: Zack Weinberg <zweinberg@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 08:44:13 -0800
To: "Dr. Olaf Hoffmann" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
"Dr. Olaf Hoffmann" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de> wrote:

> Because there seems to be no change and no answer, I would
> like to ask again, what skew(<angle> [, <angle>]) exactly means?
> If no one can explain it - does it have a meaning at all?
> For example the corresponding transformation matrix would be
> sufficient for me to understand this...

For what it's worth, this is the matrix that Gecko produces for
skew(ThetaX, ThetaY):

    |  1           tan(ThetaX)  0|
    |  tan(ThetaY) 1            0|
    |  0           0            1|

skewx(theta) is treated as identical to skew(theta, 0) and
skewy(theta) is treated as identical to skew(0, theta).

I have no position on whether this is useful to authors or
mathematically meaningful.

zw