Re: Agenda+ CSS Namespaces implementation report

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 23:07:20 +0100
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
CC: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>, www-style@w3.org
On Tuesday, December 1, 2009, 10:49:32 PM, Boris wrote:

BZ> On 12/1/09 4:34 PM, Chris Lilley wrote:
>> Unless the stylesheet processor is required to magically fix up the missing closing quote.

BZ> It is.  See
BZ> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#parsing-errors the
BZ> "Unexpected end of style sheet" bullet.

Also, see

Unexpected end of string.

User agents must close strings upon reaching the end of a line, but then drop the construct (declaration or rule) in which the string was found.

Which implies that the closing quote would be fixed up *and then the @rule dropped*.

I don't see an ordering for these fixup rules, so its not clear whether end of string or end of stylesheet would trigger first and they have different effects.

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG