Re: New values for Float property

On Tuesday 2009-12-01 11:16 +1100, Alan Gresley wrote:
> This is not a bug. Please see this spec concerning the direction of
> horizontal overflow with bidirection.
>
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#direction>
>
> #This property specifies the base writing direction of
> #blocks and the direction of embeddings and overrides
> #(see 'unicode-bidi') for the Unicode bidirectional
> #algorithm. In addition, it specifies the direction
> #of table column layout, the direction of horizontal
> #overflow, and the position of an incomplete last
> #line in a block in case of 'text-align: justify'.

I don't see how this has anything to do with the behavior in your
testcases at:
http://css-class.com/test/css/bidi/float-left-right-edge-rtl.htm
http://css-class.com/test/css/bidi/float-right-left-edge-rtl.htm
I think the "direction of horizontal overflow" bit is intended to
say which direction you can scroll in, not how things are laid out.

I also don't think Firefox's behavior on the first of those
testcases.  I think the float should overflow to the left
(like in the second), as it does in IE7.  I actually thought Firefox
behaved that was as well, but it doesn't seem to, and that was the
change I thought I had proposed.

-David